Faculty Position at University of Michigan Medical School
The Department of Learning Health Sciences at the University of Michigan Medical School is seeking a distinguished scholar for its Division of Learning and Knowledge Systems. The successful applicant will be eligible for appointment as Associate or Full Professor in the instructional (tenure) track. Up to 50% of the position will be funded by the Quality Department of Michigan Medicine to advance the clinical enterprise of the University of Michigan.
The Department is seeking an innovative scholar in the field of implementation science or organizational systems applied to health care, e.g., health services research, quality improvement. The scholar’s academic background may come from disciplines including, but not restricted to: public health, complexity & systems science, behavioral & social sciences, organizational sciences. The successful applicant will have a record of significant accomplishments in the sciences that enable the transformation of health-related systems, locally and globally, into entities that learn and improve—and the application of those sciences to improve health and health care. A board-certified physician recruited into this position may be eligible for joint appointment in an appropriate clinical department with opportunities for clinical practice.
- Advance the missions of the Department and the Division regarding research/scholarship, teaching, and service.
- Develop and secure external funding for collaborative, cutting-edge research programs for the design,development, operation, or evaluation of care improvement programs or learning health systems at the group, organizational, regional, national, and/or global levels.
- Work with the Quality Department of Michigan Medicine to develop and implement innovations in the safety, quality, and efficiency of care within our health system and share innovations through scholarly publications that advance fields of health care. Depending on qualifications and interest, responsibilities will be part of initiatives of the Quality Department in quality and safety, such as developing clinical guidelines; developing and delivering teaching/training programs, and participating, planning and carrying out activities for organizational change, quality improvement, and patient safety.
- Participate in developing graduate curricula and courses, offering courses relevant to the individual’s background.
- Mentor junior faculty in developing successful, productive careers in learning and knowledge systems.
- Help position the University of Michigan as a leader in improvement of health through learning systems.
- A terminal research degree (PhD or equivalent, MD not required) in a relevant discipline.
- Operational experience in leading/supporting improvements in safety, quality, and efficiency in health care settings.
- A sustained research focus related to implementation science and the Division’s mission to advance learning health systems.
- Leadership, organizational, and communication skills for work in an interdisciplinary department and care quality.
- A record of success in helping to lead change to improve care in a health care system.
For more information and to apply, view the job posting.