Introductory course on systematic reviews and meta-analyses presented by The Knowledge Translation Program and Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto
Dates: January 7 to April 5, 2019 Instructors: Drs. Andrea C. Tricco & Sharon Straus Cost: $1,800 CAD (If affiliated with our SPOR Evidence Alliance, it is freely available)
This is an introductory course on systematic reviews and meta-analyses and will be delivered online. It is co-taught by Andrea Tricco (MSc, PhD) and Sharon Straus (MD, MSc). The overall course objective is to teach about systematic reviews in general, as well as how to conduct a systematic review. This information will be used by the students to prepare a protocol for a systematic review on the topic of their choice, with guidance from the course instructors.
The course will cover 18 modules in total. Each module consists of a video presentation, mandatory readings, optional readings, and a mandatory quiz. It is recommended that each student conduct a systematic review while taking the course. In addition, there are two assignments related to developing a systematic review question and protocol.
The students will have approximately 3 months to complete the course and the course instructors will provide high-level methodological support for the review, including a consultation with an experienced librarian and a consultation with an experienced biostatistician (if meta-analysis is being considered) upon reasonable request.
- How to formulate a review question
- How to develop a review protocol
- How to abstract data
- How to appraise the quality of studies
- How to perform a meta-analysis
- Differentiate systematic reviews from other types of reviews, including qualitative reviews
- Identify which organizations conduct systematic reviews
- Discern individuals who can be involved with doing a systematic review
- Distinguish between different types of evidence that can be summarized in a systematic review
- Develop a systematic review question
- Establish the eligibility criteria for a systematic review
- Create a systematic review protocol
For more information, please contact Meghan Storey at StoreyM@smh.ca.